Lucy

Lucy

Saturday, June 8, 2013

The letter

I'd like to share the actual denial letter that Gateway sent us so everyone can read exactly why they denied Lucy this time. It is absolutely preposterous! And, AND in the letter they name the wrong doctor as having done the prescription. They say her OLD pediatrician requested it, and by old I mean she is no longer her doctor. But, neither pediatrician wrote the prescription, it was Dr. Sasha! So, my assumption is that Dr. Sasha never knew she was supposed to talk to anyone because they called the wrong office. 

Dr. Sasha is still planning on talking to someone at Gateway and hopefully she can make a difference. If not we will have to appeal it. If they deny the appeal, I don't know where to go from there other than to raise the money ourselves. Something I think I have failed to mention, however, is that the total cost for the de vice and everything that comes with it is almost $20,000! Hopefully we don't have to go that route.

The person who denied it must surely not understand that the PODD only works with another person sitting directly in front of Lucy turning the pages of her book. The Tobii would help Lucy to become an independent communicator.  The plan will never to be to have a Tobii INSTEAD of a PODD. She will always have both as they both have benefits and drawbacks. The Tobii could die, malfunction, or any other technical problem could occur and then she would still always have her PODD. But, with the Tobii she could be out of my sight and say, "Hey Mom, I need you!" "Help, I am stuck!" Whatever! She needs it, end of story. Everybody has the right to communicate independently. 



1 comment:

  1. Absolutely ridiculous! It's making my blood boil, so I can't even imagine how you're feeling.

    ReplyDelete