Lucy

Lucy

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Morning school

I think Lucy and I kind of had a little bit of school on Monday!  As I have mentioned many times before, I plan on homeschooling Lu for the majority of her education and since our schedule has changed somewhat we have a little more time to do things other than therapy and rushing around. It was such a great day!

At preschool Lucy will have a name tag and so she can find it, we started working on her being able to identify her name.  As it turns out, she already knew it! I wrote her name on an index card and then wrote "Mom" and "Dad" on two others. I mixed them all up and would show her her name and ask her if it said Lucy and each time she said yes. And when I would show her a mom or dad card and ask her if it said Lucy she would very clearly say no. As usual, she used her head to indicate yes and no. I also pointed to her name a few times and asked if it said mom or dad and she said no. It was a little bit of "testing" which I prefer to avoid, but sometimes I think it just has to be that way. We didn't do it a zillion times and we won't do it a zillion more times in the future. Once I feel pretty confident that Lucy knows something, I don't believe that she has to prove it to me (or anyone else) over and over again...we can just move on. 

Next we made some paintings using a recipe that PBS Kids posted on Facebook. The recipe was for "puffy paint" that you make out of water, salt, and flour and after you paint with it you microwave it and it puffs up and becomes 3D. Lu did it finger paint-style and had fun! She made a painting for her Daddy's desk, and one for her new room. I made the flower for her. It was super fun! Here is the link for anyone that is interested in giving this a try. 
http://www.pbs.org/parents/crafts-for-kids/3d-artprojects/utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Fanpage&utm_
campaign=PBSParents
What's especially nice about the paint is that it is non-toxic so I didn't worry about her getting it into her mouth. 

And finally we started talking about sight words. I know kids do not start learning to read for quite some time, but I feel like it is one thing that Lu could do on her own, and a way for her to explore and learn in her own way. So, I got some flashcards and we just started talking about them as we are talking about regular things. I chose 10 words and showed them to her while she ate lunch and put them into sentences that are relevant to her. We talked about what was going on and about herself, myself, Daddy, and other people in her life and she seemed to dig it. I am excited for this especially since looking at books used to be one of her favorite things to do on her own. I used to sit her little bins of board books beside her and she could get them out and turn the pages, but she can't do that anymore. If we ever get a Tobii someday, she will be able to read books on there and turn the pages with her eyes. 

It was a great day! 









No comments:

Post a Comment