I have been meaning to sit down and write this post for some days now, but with the new puppy and just STUFF in general I am just now having time (and I only have 10 minutes until Mom brings Lucy home!)
On New Years Eve Lu said she had to go to the bathroom, and she did! I already posted about that, and then the last post was about Lucy's thoughts on the puppy, but in between there and since talking about the puppy, she has said all kinds of things! It is amazing and she is amazing and the PODD books are amazing! I'd like to just list some of my favorite things she has said. I keep a little log of what she says each day and the context in which she says it, but I don't have time to mention all of that right now! I'll do my top 10 favorite things Lucy has said, I can't even believe I can say that, it's just too awesome!
1. In reference to Roberta, the OT saying she liked Lucy's jammies, Lucy said, after laughing
A LOT, "I like this, lucky, nightwear." That was the first longer thing she said. The way the book is set up, things she says starts with "I like this" or "I don't like this" or "something's wrong" and so on.
2. "I have to go to the bathroom" but when I took her up to the potty she didn't go and I was talking to her about how it is best to try to only say she has to go if she really does, but it's okay if she thought she had to go. When we came back downstairs she said, "please, I need to go to the bathroom" and I reminded her we had just been on the potty and she said, "just kidding mom" My mom pointed out that was the first time she has really said "Mom"!!!!!
3. "I like this, funny, cool, me, good, good job."
4. "I don't like this, makes me mad." She said this when I was being insistent about her drinking water at supper.
5. After Lucy choked a little on some cereal at breakfast she was crying and fussing and she said, "Something's wrong, sad/upset, want someone, mom" (that was maybe my favorite so far!)
6. "Done/finished" she tells me this at meals sometimes!
7. One of her favorite things to say that she says pretty often is "I like this, lucky, cool." My mom reads her the Dr. Seuss book, "Did I Ever tell you how Lucky You Are" and we think that is why she says lucky all the time!
8. When I told Lu we were going to get the puppy and she was going to stay with Grammy and Pappy she said "Let's go, in the car"
9. One night in a sort of round about way she said her t-shirt was too tight, but then I figured out she meant possibly her bib.
10. Today, after she didn't pee on the potty, but then peed on her changing pad, she said "I like this, cool, cute, mom"!!!!
Ok I have more than 10!
11. While sitting in a new special chair we are trying out she said, "Something's wrong, cold." So I gave her a blanket!
12. Yesterday I told her with her book that we were going to the library and the grocery store and she said, "I don't want to do it" and then I thanked her for telling me, but told her that sometimes we all have to do things that we don't want to do and she had to come with me.
Lucy is getting better and better with using her head for yes and no and even does it sometimes without the buttons that we use to say yes and no for her. A question that comes up often by others is "How does she even know what that picture means?" We'll, of course she doesn't know all of the pictures, but the program is set up in a way that helps her to learn. What's even more important is that we believe she knows things and that she is capable of learning them. That's why she is doing so well, because we believe in her.