Lucy

Lucy

Saturday, January 14, 2012

I believe...

I believe that people have the right to believe whatever they want to believe, as long as they are not hurting others.

I believe in being respectful towards others' thoughts and feelings, whether I agree with them or not.

I believe in a force stronger than us mere humans, but I do not personally believe in calling it by any specific name, or trying to assume I know much about it at all.

Again, I believe in other people's right to call it what they choose and be involved with it however they see fit.

I believe in free will and that people make their own paths and choose their own direction in life.

I believe some things "happen for a reason", but honestly I don't know why I feel that way, and I tend to believe that after the fact, when I have seen something play out in a way that seems like it was just "meant to be".

I believe in science and the facts that are presented in logical, rational ways.

I believe we have souls, or spirits or whatever you want to call them.

I do not believe in trying to figure out what's going to happen to them (our souls) when we die, but I can't bring myself to believe that all we are as humans is simply brain activity, or whatever it is people say.

*As you can see, I have beliefs than are both on the logical, fact-based end of the spectrum, but then I also believe in things for no particular reason, other than I just do, down on the more illogical end of the spectrum.

But again I will say, because I do not think I can stress it enough, I believe in letting people be with their own beliefs, and especially not trying to force your own onto anyone else.

So I obviously believe in peace... Live and let live... Love one another in perfect harmony...

I believe that genes mutate randomly. I don't know why they do it, but I don't believe that there is any predestined, special, cosmic reason for it. And that helps me to feel better. I think that a lot of people feel better a lot of the time if they think of it the other way around and believe that the universe, or god, or whatever decided that there was a reason for things turning out the way they do. But that just makes me furious to think that. It does not help me to be more accepting or to feel better at all. Like there might have been some decision by a higher power to make my daughter's life so difficult? I cannot get behind a thought like that.

I understand that it is more comforting to believe that things are out of our hands and that whatever is going to happen will happen. I will admit that it is comforting to me that there was nothing Chad or I could do to stop what has happened, because I worked so hard to take the very best care of Lucy while she was being made, and then when she came out I have never stopped trying my best. So I know it is not our fault. But none of that mattered because genes mutate...randomly. And of course we don't know for sure that is even the cause of Lu's difficulties, but it's heavy on my mind these days.

I believe in myself. I believe in my ability to make my life what I want it to be and to steer myself in any direction I choose. I believe in my ability to overcome any obstacle.

I believe in Chad. I know, 24 hours a day, 7 days a weeks, every day of every year that he is here for us and that he always will be. And so I believe in us as a team, that anything is possible and we will handle whatever comes our way.

I believe we are responsible and we will make the difference. No matter what, we will teach Lucy to live a full and happy life as we encourage her to think for herself and to let others do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment